Made By Midnight

Made By Midnight is a work in progress. You will find an ever growing collection of artisan made jewelry and gifts. Wire work, beautiful glass, quality Swarovski crystals, and semiprecious stones abound in handmade items that are sure to please a myriad of pallets, from timid and classic to bold and trendy. Treat yourself to one of a kind creations, or show a special someone in your life how much you care with a thoughtful gift they're sure to treasure.

Please bookmark this page (or use the "follow this blog" option on the right) and visit often!

**Please also notice that I offer limited graphics designs as well!!**

Questions? Ready to order? Please see my Etsy shop or email all inquiries to: madebymidnight@yahoo.com


Friday, January 23, 2009

Photographing Jewelry... on the cheap!



For those who are just passing through, you may think my setup looks a little wonky... for those who also make jewelry, you know the time consumed, frustrations involved, and the lengths we go to to get a good pic of our work and can probably relate. :D

Just for the heck of it, I thought I'd post a pic of my current photo shoot set up. This was recently inspired by a lady who goes by SC Steph on the SJA forums. (Her works can be found HERE and HERE) Maybe her idea will inspire others as well (who may not already be a member of SJA and haven't seen all the helpful hints there) to also strive to take better pics of their work.

She recently posted a thread about how she used a chafing dish stand and tissue paper (the gift wrapping kind) to form a photo box. Being that I don't have a chafing dish (and I'm too cheap to go buy one LOL) I substituted a small wrought iron magazine stand (magazine rack removed) that I turned upside down for mine. :D I wrapped the tissue paper (wrinkled on purpose for texture) around the outside, suspended fishing line from the bottom braces, positioned it to catch the morning light from the left and a lamp with a natural lighting light bulb on the right, set up my camera and voila! What's that old saying... Necessity is the Mother of all invention? :D

Kinda innovative if I do say so myself... thanks for the inspiration Steph! Works quite well for my needs, even if it DOES look a little wonky.

2 comments:

Bonhomie said...

So are you happy with your improvised light box? I've tried natural light, with a (homemade) light box, without the light box, artificial lighting....I'm just an inept photographer when it comes to jewelry! ;-)

Midnight said...

Yep, I'm very pleased with it as far as taking pics of earrings goes at least. I probably prefer my "old" method for other things (scrapbook paper under glass out on the front porch LOL) but this is a very nice way to show how an earring hangs naturally instead of laying it out flat. :D

'Course, I'd be happy as can be if I had a better camera... LOL